Pick up will take place from 7:00 – 7:30 am from your local hotel in Phong Nha. From there the tour will head an hour and a half to Tan Hoa office, located 70 km from Phong Nha. The drive is beautiful, passing alongside jungle, fields and over the historic Da Deo pass. During the drive, you’ll also listen to a safety briefing led by your experienced tour guide.
Arrive at the office around 9:00 am where you’ll sign your Release Form, and collect equipment such as jungle boots, water bottles, lights, helmets, etc. You can leave your extra luggage at our office in the storage room.
At around 9:30 am, the group will take a drive over to the drop off point and start at the trailhead by 10:00 am. The trek begins with a hike through the forest over a hill. The last kilometer before the cave is very rocky with many boulders, as if the cave terrain has spilled out onto the landscape in front of it. You’ll enjoy a BBQ feast, including fresh pork and traditional spring roll wraps (vegetarian option available) before enter the spectacular cave. Around 12:30, you’ll start your exploration of the cave.
With formations rising up like a layer cake of rimstone pools and lush ferns, this cave is truly a unique specimen. As you explore, you’ll reach a small skylight in the cave, created from a shaft which spills sunlight from the cave’s entrance. Beyond the skylight will be a ladder leading to the second section of the cave. You’ll venture through this next section of the cave, known as the high chamber. The exit of the cave lies just ahead – you have conquered Hang Tien!
You’ll make your way back, and get a chance to take a dip in the natural jungle pool you passed on the way in. You’ll have time for a coffee, a quick swim, and to take some photos before making your return journey.
You will be collected at the pickup point and head back to Tan Hoa. A shower awaits you at the office before the van ride back to Phong Nha at 6:00 pm. The tour will finish around 7:30 pm in Phong Nha.
Hang Tien Discovery 1-Day is moderate and suitable for anyone who is physically active and has basic trekking experience. However, please make sure that your health is suitable for these activities before taking part in the tour.
- 8 km jungle and mountain trekking, rocky terrain
- 4 km caving
Any member of the Oxalis guide team reserves the right to turn around any person at any time without compensation or refund as deemed necessary for safety or conservation reasons.
We will provide you with the following:
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, gloves
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Water and picnic lunch
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter to prepare meals and pump water
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Water filter and purifier (used only by guide and porters)
- Eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat at lunch site
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only)
- Dry box is prepared in case of high water level
- Secure Storage Facility at Oxalis Headquarters to store any luggage you will not be taking on the trek
Please also bring with you the following:
- 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirts to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes – difficult terrain, good footwear necessary
- 1 pairs of calf length densely woven socks (not ankle socks)
- 1 change of clothes for after the tour
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries