VL5-TL3: WILD TU LAN CAVE EXPLORER 3D2N
Day 1: Phong Nha – Tan Hoa – Secret Cave – Hung Ton Cave – To Mo Campsite
The expedition takes off with a pickup from any local hotel at Phong Nha at 7:30 – 8:00 am and a transfer to Tan Hoa village. You’ll attend the safety briefing, check on gears, equipment & sign the Release Form at Tu Lan office prior to trekking. At 10:00 am, the trek gets underway with a hike across peanut and buffalo fields (2.5 km) to the Rao Nan River.
After crossing the river, the group will go through the first cave of this expedition called Secret Cave at 11 am. The journey within Secret Cave and the following trek to Hung Ton will take from about 11:30 am – 12:00 pm. At the entrance of Hung Ton you will take a break and enjoy lunch until about 1:00 pm. After lunch, follow the dry path and a swim through Hung Ton Cave to To Mo Campsite. Capture some excellent photos before getting distracted with a delicious dinner under the stars.
Day 2: Kim Cave – Tu Lan Cave – Ken Cave – Tu Lan Campsite
The morning arrives with another full day of adventure with heart-warming breakfast. Your second-day journey starts with exploring Kim Cave by with its dry & wet path. Goodbye Kim Cave, the squad will trek another 1.5km in the jungle to approach Tu Lan cave. You will get in the cave by dry path and get out by swimming from its wet path.
Passing by Tu Lan Campsite for the spectacular picnic lunch. The journey shortly begins again with the exploration to Ken Cave. After exploring this longest cave in Tu Lan Cave System by swimming, you will return to camp for more waterfall swimming, a rest and wonderful BBQ dinner.
Day 3: Mango Mountain – Lom Com Mountain – La Ken Valley – Rat Cave – Tan Hoa – Phong Nha
The last day continues to exude adventure with a lot of trekking to expand your time in nature. You and the team need to climb up and down through Mango Mountain & Lom Com Mountain before reaching La Ken Valley for your picnic lunch.
Early afternoon holds the return trip across Rat Cave with magnificent formations of cave. You then reach the Rao Nan River with the beautiful fields and back to Tan Hoa (2.5 km), where a cold drink will be calling your name. Showers are available for those who would like to clean up and change. The tour returns to Phong Nha by 5:30 pm.
PRICE FOR PER PERSON: 348USD
(Applied for group from 8-25 people. Less than 8 people, please contact us)
Our Wild Tu Lan Cave Explorer is moderate for anyone who considers themselves physically fit and participates in regular outdoor activities, but difficult for anyone with limited outdoor experience. Please make sure that your health is suitable for these activities, you have basic trekking experience and are able to swim before taking part in the adventure.
- 17 km jungle and mountain trekking, rocky terrain
- 4 km caving
- 1 km swimming in caves (from 200 m – 500 m each cave)
- Elevation change up to 150 m (between valley and top of mountain)
- 3 days and 2 nights in jungle and caves
Any member of the Oxalis guide team reserves the right to turn around any person at any time without compensation or refund as deemed necessary for safety or conservation reasons.
We will provide you with the following:
- Camping gear: hammock/tent, camp light, sleeping bag, pillow, foam mattress
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, life jacket, gloves
- Light PVC backpack (if you do not want to take your own, as it will get wet)
- Dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics)
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Meals: picnic lunches, dinner (day 1 & 2), breakfast (day 2 & 3)
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Water purifier (used only by guide and porters) and water bottle
- Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only
- Secure Storage Facility at Oxalis Headquarters to store all luggage you will not be taking on the trek
Please also bring with you the following:
- 2 long (easy to dry) pants and 2 long sleeved shirts to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1-2 pair of short and t-shirt to wear at campsite and swim suit
- 1 pair of good-gripping and non-waterproof trekking boots/shoes (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
- 1 pair of flip flop (sandals) for campsite
- 1 medium size towel
- 2-3 pairs of calf length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries
If you are trekking in the colder months (November – March) please bring additional warm clothes for the evening and an extra change of long pants and shirt for swimming.